Independent Chartered Building and Property Surveyors

Phone Number: 01622 817769

Mobile Number: 07908 641668


What do I need for Planning Application

  • Posted by:
  • Admin
  • Tags:
  • Planning Application
  • Posted date:
  • 27-07-2018
What do I need for Planning Application

What do I need for Planning Application?

Under the current UK legislation, a person can make an application to develop a piece of land, even if they do not have current ownership of it. When the application is being made, you are not required to identify owners of adjacent lands. However, in any application, scaled survey maps must be used to specify the exact location of the application.

Even if the applicant owns, or is applying for multiple adjacent applications, there is no obligation to consolidate those in one application. Each application should be kept separate and individual maps should be used in each instance. If the application is successful then the statement of purpose for the site specified within the planning maps can be altered pending application as well as the design of the development.

The planning applications can be legally sold as part of a sale or transfer which means that it is a valid company asset. Local authorities hold a certain amount of power over this. However, if any conflicting national legislation is passed, the local authority can open itself to legal action, as national legislation is often seen as dominant.

Planning maps are an integral part of the development process and certain local UK authorities have partnered with online mapping providers to deliver automated access to quality mapping extracts. This enabled service providers to combine a broad range of scaled maps with aerial photography to ensure that ordinance survey maps for planning applications are easily obtained.

Planning maps can be obtained in three easy stages, ensuring that your planning map is compliant with your local authority's application procedure. National and local legislation often leans toward the side of the applicant due to the tax revenue generated by commercial enterprises and the applications will be refused only on the basis of overriding peripheral issues.

Today's society has an ever growing requirement for housing in all parts of life. Local housing associations are dealing with an ever-increasing number of applicants on their waiting list, and this all leads towards the need for the development of non-residential land.Planning maps are in place to ensure that protected green belt areas or any other protected areas are not infringed upon and so the exact destination of the application is confirmed on a valid ordinance survey map. Online resources for planning maps are essential to the planning application process, especially since the termination of the Ordnance Survey's Map Returns Scheme.

A Lawfulness certificate is obtained by submitting to the local planning division (this is easily found on the internet and will be on the website of your regional town or county council). The content of the application will be nigh on identical to that required for a planning application. The application fee for a Certificate of Lawfulness is presently £75 (half that of a planning application) and the statutory time for processing a request is eight weeks. 

The planning departments are now far changed from the formal, faceless departments you might expect them to be. They are very cooperative if approached properly and a phone call to speak to an associate of the planning team can be of great benefit to your strategy.